4.12.09

Johnny Nebula

I found this review of a performance I did this September. There is a video of this piece currently in post production...

Next up was Johnny Nebula, who is the dude who booked me on the show. His set was an amazing performance piece that consisted of him attacking a big screen tv with a fucking chainsaw! While wearing a weird 50's scifi movie style space suit helmet! There was a nice droning loop in the background as he ripped the tv to pieces with the chainsaw. He was moving around a lot, and I think for a few moments he may have been in danger of doing serioucs harm to himself.

Eventually the chain on the chainsaw broke, and he reverted to beating the television with pieces of the wood that he had taken off of it. The performance climaxed after he gutted the insides of the tv with his bare hands and push it down, crawling into it then emerging with blood on his hands. It was an amazing piece of performance art, one that I certainly envy. I'd say it was definitely up there with anything by Chris Burden or Vito Acconci.

-Royce Icon