12.11.09

Monuments of Rust



I've got a piece up at the Monuments of Columbus show at the OSU Urban Arts Space.

Monuments of Rust is an ode to the many abandoned, rusted, burned out factories on the fringes of Columbus and throughout Ohio. It is built entirely from salvaged materials taken from these factories and emanates a soundtrack of field recordings captured in the same places. This piece is an attempt to bring the sort of ghostly spirituality I feel when exploring these forgotten relics of our industrial past directly to the viewer. The cool part about this piece is when you're in the gallery you can actually smell the rust and dirt, as well as see and hear it. I wouldn't mind if you touched it, either, just watch for the rusty shards of metal.

Listen to a sound clip here - www.myspace.com/gingerfetus (entitled "Cast Stone Treatment")









Photos: Jason Brabbs